Chamber Minutes March 7th, 2012
· Beth Lippmann, the Executive Director of the Tenafly Business Improvement District, was the guest speaker. Beth gave a brief history of the origins of BID ‘s explaining they were created in the late ‘80’s as a way to help downtowns compete with malls. The Tenafly BID’s marketing program was discussed including the April Taste of Tenafly marketing campaign. Beth also discussed why the internet and lack of credit is discouraging furniture, gift shops and clothing boutiques (stores with inventory) from opening.
· The Tenafly BID was established 1 ½ years ago. They have created an online directory, plan to create signage, and implement marketing programs. Marketing programs include help for Tenafly business owners on how to use the internet and Facebook to market their businesses. The BID meetings are the 3rd Monday of every month at the Tenafly Borough Hall and 6:30 pm; Tenafly Chamber Members are welcome to attend.
· Membership report, 5 paid members as of March 7th.
· Treasurer’s report, $6,528.94 currently in chamber account
· Promotions Committee report: A list of the promotions for the year were included in the membership mailing. The first of the promotions, Tenafly loyalty program, was explained by Bob. Shoppers can stop at designated stores with their March receipts from purchase made at any Tenafly businesses and get back 10% of the total of their March purchases in up to $50 in Chamber bucks to be spent in the month of April in chamber stores only.
· April plant-give-a-way. Chamber will purchase 200 plants to be distributed to participainting chamber stores to use as gifts to their customers during Friday and Saturday on Passover/Easter weekend—April 6 & 7.
· A June raffle is being organized—a pair of Yankee tickets will be raffled.
· Glow necklaces will be distributed at the Tenafly Fireworks again this year.
· An October street fair, Person of the Year are being planned.
· Christine Evron suggested a Chocolate Expo or possibly “Where’s Waldo”.
· The chamber plans to take the Mayor and Council up on their offer to allow the Tenafly Chamber to hold sidewalk sales once a month from May through September.
· Bob requested permission to hire Daryl Walker to promote the October chamber street fair. Permission was granted.
· Minutes from the February chamber meeting were approved.
· Light rail survey sent out but not enough chamber members answered; no letter from the chamber was generated.
· A presentation planned for the April 4th general meeting. The presentation will be on developing a group health insurance plan for Tenafly Chamber members as well as including area chambers.
· A networking event is being planned for end of May or beginning of June. More details to come.
Meeting adjourned at 8pm.
Attendees: Bob Kutik, Christine Evron, Jon Warms, JoAnn Carr, Gerry Migliore, Pat Fedele, Khalid Mansoor, Marlyn Friedberg, Maria Binenbaum, Peter Quinn, Pat Lamson, Meryl Fell, Marc Maeri, Beth Lippman, Richard Moller, Jennifer Kleinbaum.